While the list of gardening tasks for August is shorter than in many months, there are still ongoing tasks to perform in the garden.
The hot temperatures of mid summer make it tough to spend much time working in your garden, so take advantage of any cooler days to take care of grooming and weeding. Right now, your primary concern will be assuring an ample supply of water for your plants.
Weed control is also very important, because with the warmer weather and increased watering, weed seeds will germinate and grow faster, and mature to the point of producing more seeds.
Take advantage of your spare time to keep the weeds cultivated out of all parts of the garden.
Handy Gardening Tips:
- Prune rambling roses after flowering
- Prune Wisteria by shortening the current year’s growth to 30cm
- Water all plants regularly, mornings or evenings are the best time
- There is a bank holiday in August – use it to enjoy your garden, it is the last bank holiday before all Autumn work commences.
- Trim hedges and be safe with electricals
- Keep pond topped up
- Continue to feed and provide water for the birds
- There is still time to sow salad crops like Lettuce or Radish
Handy tips for the Lawn
- Mow regularly – twice a week but avoid mowing when early of when the sun is highest in the sky.
- Weed and feed your lawn
- Use a mulch mower – mulching will give your lawn a natural nitrogen boost
- If watering, try to use a sprinkler and not a hose. Keep your eye on any hose pipe bans
|Plants at their best ...||We recommend Sowing ...||It's a great time to Harvest...||It's a good time to Harvest...|
Broccoli & Calabrese