I know when the product will be delivered, but I am not going to be in, can the product be left?

If you will not be available on the date given for delivery, we are able to amend this to a latter more suitable date, alternatively our drivers will be able to leave your purchase with a neighbour or a safe place with your express permission in advance.

Please contact us so that we can pass these special instructions onto our carrier. Failure to advise us will result in the product being returned to the carrier.

Will I need planning permission to erect my garden building?

You don't usually need planning permission for domestic outbuildings, as long as they are used for a domestic purpose related to your house. However, you may require planning permission if any of the following apply (the list is not exhaustive, so if in doubt please check with your local planning authority):
• If you plan to erect the shed within 5 metres of any part of your house.
• If the total area of the ground covered by any buildings or other structures in the garden area (excluding the original, main house) is greater than 50% of the total garden area.
• If there is a condition in the original planning consent for your property which states that garden sheds/outhouses etc. cannot be erected with or without the consent of the local planning authority.
• If your property is a listed building or within a conservation area or an area of outstanding natural beauty. If this is the case, you will need to contact your local planning authority as development will be restricted.
• If you plan to run a business from the building, or use it to store goods in connection with a business.
• In addition, no part of the garden building should be nearer to the public highway than the existing house, or any point 20 metres from that highway, whichever is nearer to the highway.

Will I need planning permission to erect a fence on my property?

Most fences or other means of enclosure are exempt from requiring planning permission. However, there are limitations to this exemption, which will bring the fence or other means of enclosure under planning control.

Planning permission will be required for the following:
• All fences or other means of enclosure which is to be constructed adjacent to the highway if it will be more than 1.0m in height.
• All fences or other means of enclosure which is to be constructed anywhere else (for example between two properties) if it will be more than 2.0m in height.
• All fences or other means of enclosure which is to be maintained, improved or altered resulting in an increase of its height above 1.0m adjacent to the highway, or 2.0m anywhere else.
• All fences or other means of enclosure of any height within, or surrounding, the curtilage of a Listed Building.
• All fences or other means of enclosure of any height if required by a condition on an earlier planning approval (this is quite common on “open plan” housing estates).
• All fences or other means of enclosure being constructed to extend the garden area of your property (for whatever reason) whether or not the proposed fence or means of enclosure requires planning permission.

* Any regulation that is detailed as ‘adjacent to highway’ is interpreted for this purpose as meaning within 2 metres of a highway. This includes any road used by vehicular traffic and any footway alongside such a road.

* A condition imposed on the planning permission for your property may prevent you undertaking your proposal without first securing planning permission, please check with your local council. (The removal of permitted development rights).

* Where the ground levels on either side of the fence are significantly different, the height should be determined from the lower ground level.

* Visibility at the entrance to a drive is important in road safety terms, especially for pedestrians. A fence or wall on a side boundary can easily obstruct visibility into or from your own drive, or your neighbour’s access.

We accept no liability for the accuracy of any information supplied in this customer notice and you are always advised to seek professional advice. The information has been sourced from an English council. Welsh and Scottish rules and regulations to planning permission may vary; contact your local planning office for more information.

Information adapted from Fenland District Council, 2010.

Do I need any other kind of consent?

If your property is a listed building or in a conservation area, it is likely you will need the appropriate listed building/conservation area consent.

In some cases, properties can be subject to "restrictive covenants", preventing building in your back garden. You should check whether there are any restrictions on the property register at HM Land Registry against this type of development. If you fall into this category, the consent of the person with the benefit of the restrictive covenant should be sought.

The current planning permission at your property may contain a condition that negates permitted development rights. Such conditions sometimes apply to the surrounding area. Check with your local planning authority.

If you are not sure whether you can erect your fences or other means of enclosure without planning permission, we suggest you contact your local planning authority.

We accept no liability for the accuracy of any information supplied in this customer notice and you are always advised to seek professional advice.

What are our products made from?

Our timber products are made from European softwood, using a variety of species unless otherwise stated.

Do l need to treat my new wooden shed, fence or other product?

For the dip treated product ranges, the simple answer is yes. All timber garden products are supplied treated, but we recommend that you treat your garden building / products with a wood preservative that will protect against the elements after the first year, and thereafter every couple of years. Your wooden product will look good for longer, and the timber will be protected too. You can even apply colour if you want to make your shed more distinctive.

If you desire to apply a finish to your pressure treated timber items, we recommend use of oil-based penetrating finishes that are usually either transparent or semi-transparent. Some clear-water repellents and semi-transparent stains can be applied to treated wood soon after construction. Further applications for rot and fungal decay are NOT required for pressure treated products.

We do not recommend using paint or other film-forming finishes because long term maintenance of these finishes can be problematic. Whatever finish you use, always check the label of the finishing product and follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Apply the finishing product to a small exposed test area of your project before finishing the entire project to insure it provides the intended result before proceeding.

Will l need help with assembly?

We recommend you rope in the help of at least one friend to help you assemble any large garden building, fence or patio kit.

How long will it take to assemble?

Depending on how handy you are sheds should take about half a day to assemble. Larger projects such as large fences or our larger garden buildings could take longer.

What tools do I need to assemble my building?

All of the sheds are slightly different, but you will only need basic DIY tools. Please refer to the instructions that will accompany your product for further details.

Do you supply the glazing material for the windows?

Yes, all timber buildings are supplied with either Styrene or heavy-duty Perspex windows. Greenhouses and glasshouses have glazing details listed on the product details. For more details on specific products, please use Live Chat to speak to a member of our sales team, or alternatively call 0333 003 0516.

Do l need to prepare the ground for my shed?

The life of a building depends upon its foundations, so it is vital that your base is firm, level, well drained and large enough to accommodate the building you have ordered. Ideally, your garden building should be installed on a flat concrete slab, which is unlikely to sink or break up. A thickness of 50 to 100mm is sufficient. Alternatively, you could use concrete paving slabs or decking bases. However, you will need to make sure that they are level, will not sink and completely cover the area upon which your shed will stand. If you have any doubts concerning the base, seek advice from a local builder.

How long will delivery take?

Our delivery times vary according to the product. Please see our comprehensive product details for more information. Should the item be out of stock with the supplier, please allow an extra few days for delivery.

In what form will the building be delivered?

The majority of our products arrive flat packed. Full assembly instructions are provided, and if you need any advice when you're assembling your garden building, fencing or decking, please give us a call on 0333 003 0516.

Can the delivery be taken through to my garden? / Can the delivery be made to an allotment?

Under no circumstances can the product be taken around the back of the property and we typically plan to deliver to the front garden or drive. Health and Safety and insurance liabilities also prevent us from entering your property for access and should you live in a flat or request delivery to an allotment we will still only be able to deliver to that point of the property adjacent to the roadway.

Do I need to do anything before the delivery arrives?

We'll need your help in preparing the delivery site, as well as access to and from it. We will leave the product in a safe location adjacent to the main roadway, but off of any public highways. Please ensure that sufficient space is cleared before delivery. We will make delivery with either a 7.5-tonne vehicle or a HIAB truck with loading arm.