How to Install Decking Boards
Garden decking can either be installed on to a hard porous standing (to allow drainage) or directly on to the earth. If building on to the ground, make sure the area is flat and always lay weed membrane.
Building a bearer base:
Either use a deck bearer kit or build the base yourself from pre-cut bearer planks / joists. You can use the dimensions of the decking boards as a guide for how cut the bearer joists.
- Position the two bearers at the outer edge of the decking area
- Attach the two side joists along the other sides of the decking area
- Screw the remaining joists to the outer bearers – using a spirit level to ensure the structure is level
Installing the decking boards:
- Place the first decking board flush with one edge and then fix this to the base
- Using spacers, place the another deck board next to the one you just attached and screw this to the joists
- Repeat this process until the area is covered
- Attach flashing boards to the outer edges to hide the bearer base