January begins the new year and with it hopes for a more bountiful garden. If you are lucky enough to have workable ground this month there are yet plants to be added to your garden this month.
Plenty of starts can begin in January as well.
Handy Tips for the garden:
- Check newly planted shrubs to make sure frosts hasn’t lifted them
- Check tree and shrub supports
- Brush ice and snow (if present) from leaves and fragile branches – it could weigh down them down and cause permanent damage.
- Start choosing your vegetable seeds for tasty home grown produce
- Clean out the garden shed of rubbish and debris
- Plan big jobs like hard landscaping or makeovers
- Sow broad beans in pots and protect from frost
- Ensure wild birds have food and water
- Sharpen the blades of secateurs and loppers
Handy tips for the Lawn
- January is a hard month for lawns and turf especially after a prolonged period of snow and frost. It is always nice to see a green lawn over the winter but trying to achieve that result without the use of lawn fertiliser is a little hard to do
- Remove any dead leaves from your lawn, beds and borders. Give your mower and lawn tools a service if you haven’t already done so
- Start to use fertiliser on your lawn
- During fine spells, it is possible to carry out turfing at this time of year
|Plants at their best ...||We recommend Sowing ...||It's a great time to Harvest...||It's a good time to Harvest...|
Onions and Shallots