March is the month when many of the beautiful spring flowering perennials begin to flower. Aubrietia, Candytuft, Rock Cress, Bergenia, Snowdrops, Witch-hazel and many others will be brightening your days.
With Spring just around the corner, it is time to get serious and get the garden ready.
Handy Gardening Tips:
- Mulch beds and borders to keep down weeds and seal in moisture
- Prune bushes and shrubs
- Plant summer-flowering bulbs e.g. lilies
- Protect new spring plant growth from slugs
- Weed lawn and reseed if necessary
- Start to mow lawns again
- Repair, clean and protect decking and fencing
- Check water butt is clean and securely attached to downpipe
- Purchase planters and raised beds
- Sow hardy annuals and vegetables outside
Handy tips for the Lawn
March and April is a good time to scarify and give the lawn a light rolling. When you do your first cut of the year, remove just the top of the grass. Feeding and weeding can begin at the earliest. Dig out patches of coarse grass, fill the holes, then re-seed.The garden is ready for its first cut this month so trim the grass lightly.Ideally, leave it another month before your start to introduce children’s toys or return garden furniture from your storage to your lawn.
|Plants at their best ...||We recommend Sowing ...||It's a great time to Harvest...||It's a good time to Harvest...|
|Broccoli & Calabrese
Celeriac & Kohl Rabi
Onions & Shallots