A month where some days are warmed by the last rays of summer and other days which are cold and wet.
It is a very busy month planting, planning for next year and helping our garden prepare for the coming winter.
Even though summer is officially over, there are many ways in which you can still enjoy your garden over the fast approaching winter period.
Leaves will keep you busy but luckily October has some good things to look forward to in your garden.
Handy Gardening Tips:
- Plant tulip bulbs
- Plant new perennials and climbers
- Spike your lawn to help drainage
- Mulch herbaceous and tender plants to protect them during winter
- Clear garden, burn any diseased debris, compost the rest
- Keep houseplants drier to slow down growth during the winter
- Insulate greenhouse and test the heater
- Dig over soil to allow frost to break down large soil clumps
Handy tips for the Lawn
- Regular mowing now comes to an end
- October is a good month to get your mower serviced to make sure that it is in good working order for the next spring
- Be sure to rake your lawn and keep it free from leaves. Whilst leaves will provide the lawn with nutrients, they will also help encourage unwanted weeds and also suffocate the lawn, which needs to breath
- Allow Autumn sunlight to shine directly onto your lawn
- Avoid walking on your lawn in early possible frosts
|Plants at their best ...||We recommend Sowing ...||It's a great time to Harvest...||It's a good time to Harvest...|